History

inner-photos2

Golf has been played in Dundalk since 1893 when a nine hole course was laid out at Deer Park on the Carrickmacross Road by Captain McLaren and P.L. McArdle. The first Golf Club in the area was established at this time and among its 47 members was Major Baden Powell, then stationed at Dundalk Military Barracks, who was later to become famous as the founder of the Boy Scouts movement.

The departure of the 13th Hussars from Dundalk to Dublin in 1897 led to the demise of the club and there was no golf club in the town until a group of people came together in December 1904 to revive golf at Deer Park and form a new Golf Club. The course opened for play at 11am on St Stephen’s Day, December 26, 1904, when the captain, Vincent S Carroll, teed the first ball in the presence of over 50 members and got his drive away.

The club affiliated to the Golfing Union of Ireland in 1905 and remained at Deer Park until 1922 when the decision was taken to lease a portion of Mrs Whitworth’s land near Blackrock because the club did not have access to the land at Deer Park from May to September as the landowner required it for grazing.

Once established in Blackrock, and with golf now available all year round, Dundalk Golf Club blossomed into one of the top clubs in Ireland and its strategic location halfway between Dublin and Belfast coupled with its challenging course quickly made a regular venue for both professional and amateur championship events. The original layout remained in place for almost 60 years until a new layout, designed by the legendary golfer and commentator Peter Allis, was introduced in 1980.

The club celebrated its centenary in 2005 and marked the occasion with the publication of a history of the club, the revamping of the clubhouse and practice area, a gala dinner and the hosting of the Ladies Home Internationals.